Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Conundrum Solved

How did I solve those four problems that bothered me about "Norse Kitchen"?


Miniaturized "Norse Kitchen" (red)
"Norse Kitchen" original towel (blue)
Recently I have been inspired by the work of Josephine Estes and Bertha Gray Hayes and have been weaving a lot of Miniature Overshot. So the ideal solution was already on my radar - write my own miniaturized version of "Norse Kitchen".


Once I'd finalized my Mini "Norse Kitchen" draft I needed to adjust the number of center repeats to maintain the same width as my original towel warp. Then I cut off the first few towels I'd woven using the old draft and rethreaded the remainder of that warp with the revised design. This required three additional warp ends. I also decided to add one more twill repeat at each selvedge which added another eight ends.

Miniaturized "Norse Kitchen" towels

While I was at it I changed the direction of some of the border twill lines so each border is symmetric. You can see the change in the red towel above the original blue one. It is even clearer in the detail of the magenta towel below.

Weaving the rest of the warp was thrilling because the result brought me great joy. Never again will I view an overshot draft without wondering how it would work in miniature. Such fun!


Miniature "Norse Kitchen" - Detail

Miniaturized "Norse Kitchen" towels showing the reverse sides.
It's hard to decide which side is my favorite.
Warp on/Weave off,
RepWeaver



1 comment:

  1. Hello and thank you for your inspiring blog. I too am frustrated with the center section of the Norse Kitchen draft not symmetrical. But I am not smart enough to figure out a fix. Help?! Pretty please? If you will share your fix. Thank you again, Cindy

    ReplyDelete